Primary Areas of Support:
The MPS Foundation established the following Primary Areas of Support.
• Teacher EXCEL Grant Program
Teacher EXCEL Grant Program
The Teacher EXCEL Grant program is funded through contributions from MPS employees to the Milwaukee Public Schools Foundation, Inc., as a part of the MPS Employees' Combined Giving Campaign.
The grant program is also supported through contributions made to the MPS Foundation to a special fund established in memory of Ann Shansky, who was an elementary school teacher in MPS for 34 years. Ms. Shansky was an advocate of early childhood education and dedicated her life's work to education and development of children.
The grant program was supported in 2005 and 2006 by the TRIFECTA Foundation Fund established by Mark Tauscher of the Green Bay Packers, within the Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region, Inc. TRIFECTA stands for "Tauscher's Reading Initiative for Every Child to Achieve."
Student Assistance Programs
Support for programs that enrich student learning, i.e., educational field trips, extra-curricular and recreational activities, scholarships and others. Provided support for:
- Reading Is Fundamental Program - provides free books to students in 50 schools annually.
- U.S. Youth Games - supported 140 local youth, ages 11-15, to compete at this national event through restricted donations.
- MPS Best Friends and Best Men Programs - supports youth character development and abstinence programs
- Adaptive Athletics/Special Olympics - supports youth Special Olympics activities in MPS.
- Access Defibrillation Program - provides equipment & training to respond to incidents of sudden cardiac arrest.
- MPS Dental Treatment - Funds provide free dental treatment services to hundreds of children in Milwaukee Public Schools from low-income and uninsured families.
After-school and Recreational Programs
Art and Music Programs
Teacher Education and Leadership Development
Career and Technology Programs
Support for innovative state-of-the-art career and technology programs.