Make a Difference:
The Milwaukee Public Schools Foundation, Inc. seeks to raise funds and secure donations from individuals and private-sector organizations to support programs and projects not affordable through public funds. Donor support is needed to provide enhanced learning opportunities for students in Milwaukee Public Schools.
The Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS) is the 33rd largest school district in the nation and the largest school district in Wisconsin. MPS is a large urban decentralized school district serving about 82,444 students with over 8,000 educators, administrators and other staff in 200 locations.
Current MPS demographics reflect the following diversity: 56.6% of the students are African-American; 22.6% Hispanic; 11.9% White; 4.8% Asian; 0.8% Native American; and 3.2% other non-White. There are 19.2% of students identified with special education needs and 9.5% of students have limited English proficiency. Nearly 81% of the students are eligible free or reduced price lunch, an indicator of the number of children living in poverty. Individually, 40% of the district's schools have free or reduced lunch rates of 90% or more and nearly 70% of all school sites have free/reduced lunch rates of 80% or more.
The Milwaukee Public Schools knows that quality teaching will result in higher student achievement and that educating students means more than instruction. Children learn and achieve more when they are cared for, when they are safe, and when they have a healthy well-being. Therefore, Milwaukee Public Schools values and encourages strong and true partnerships with parents and all those in the community who influence and affect students and families.
The MPS Foundation has thus far received contributions totaling over $2.2 million and awarded grants totaling $1.7 million to MPS schools and programs (as of November 2009). More than 120 MPS schools or programs have received grant funding or benefited from the Foundation's efforts.
How Your Support Will Make A Difference
Donors may choose to designate a gift to match personal giving preferences. Here are specific ways you can help make a difference for MPS students, staff, and schools:
• Teacher EXCEL Grant Program – Funds annual mini-grants for creative classroom projects
• Reading Is Fundamental Program (RIF) – Provides free books to students in more than 50 schools annually
• Student Assistance Programs – Funds student participation in academic and/or athletic state, regional, or national competitions, youth leadership activities, etc.
• National Board for Professional Teaching Standards – Supports eligible teachers completing this rigorous National Board Certification process
• Teacher Recognition Gala – Helps sponsor the annual teacher recognition gala through the Metropolitan Milwaukee Alliance of Black School Educators
• Excellence in Education Awards – The Milwaukee Board of School Directors recognizes outstanding educators for their display of excellence, achievement, and innovation.
• And others. . . .
MPS Scholarship Program
To Apply for a Scholarship. Click Here
Restricted or Designated Funds
(Click here for a list of the Restricted Funds.)
A portion of the resources in the Advised Fund were made in memory of Ann Shansky, who was an elementary school teacher in MPS for 34 years and an advocate of early childhood education. Ann dedicated her life’s work to education and development of children.
Private-Sector Organizations or Foundations